The history of Mayo Camogie originates way back in the 1930’s when Mayo man, Sean O’Duffy donated a silver cup, known as the O’Duffy Cup, for the first All-Ireland Camogie Championship in 1932.
In 1932, twenty-eight years following the foundation of the Camogie Association, the first All-Ireland championship was played. Ten counties entered the competition which was organised on an open draw basis.
Mayo’s first appearance at the business end of the Camogie Championship occured in 1959 where they were finalists against a very strong Dublin team, who won out in the end.
The Mayo ladies had a great run that year beating Sligo in the Connaught Final at Manulla 7:2 to 0:3. The team had a strong Manulla contingent and most of the goals were thanks to their players Peggy Coughter, Eileen Clarke and Josie Ruane.
Camogie was stong in the county from the 1950s through the 1970s with clubs in Breaffy, Manulla, Newport, Islandeady and Castlebar.
If anyone has any information about the history of camogie in Mayo please do contact us.